Monday, November 21, 2011

11/21/11 Goodbye Old Friend

This weekend I finally sold my 280z 2+2.



Saturday morning I loaded up the G35 with a battery and the 280z hood (which I was running on my 240z) and drove home to Newark, where the 280z was. I dragged the car out of the garage with the focus, installed the battery and it started right up. The clutch had drained itself, so I topped off the master cylinder and pumped it until it had pressure. I put the hood on and it was ready to go.



In fact, I drove it to Maplewood for lunch. It was nice going for one last ride before giving it to it's new owner. It was a little sad to watch it drive away, but it's better that the car be used than just sit there while I work on my 240z. Not to mention it frees up some cash for the suspension and brake components that I need to buy.

While I was home, I pulled some parts out of storage to bring to the shop for the 240z, namely the original gas tank from my car and the heater controls. I don't want to cut this body up too much, so I'll be installing the gas tank rather than putting my fuel cell in it.


Friday night P.C., A.D. and I did an awesome Livingsocial deal. For $70, a bus picked us up in midtown, drove us to Grand Prix New York, set us up for a 90 minutes endurance race, fed us, then drove us back to the city. Not a bad deal.



It was a great time. The karts were fast and the track was interesting. There was quite a bit of elevation change, and lots of traffic to play around in. Our team came in second place by a margin of only 55 seconds. We're the 'heavyweights' in the table below.



I got in a little bit of trouble for aggressive driving, but the real problem was following slower traffic a little close, and bumping them when they braked at inappropriate times. In any case it was a ton of fun and I recommend it highly. Next time that deal shows up on living social I think I'll do it again.

-W.W. SBSS

2 comments:

  1. Hey man I just stumbled across this by pure raw work of the magical universe but I have your old 1977 280z 2+2 and she's in good care. And i really want to talk to you more about the Z, because this is fantastic that i actually found one of the previous owners! A vid of the car by me shot recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBPK3JQ4xtw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marvin. I'd be glad to talk to you about the car. Feel free to email me at william.o.watts@gmail.com

      Delete