Tuesday, June 26, 2012

6/26/12 Plans for the Future

Right now my car is slow. I never thought of it as slow when I had it in highschool, but I've owned and driven faster cars since then and I know I need more power. When I was at the track, I was able to pass very fast cars in the turns only to get blown by on the straights.

I had been planning on buying a new engine for the Z. I wanted either a 1JZ/2JZ, RB25DET, VQ35DE, or and LS1. The problem is that it's never just a new engine. It's an engine, a transmission, mounts, wiring, a new exhaust, new driveshaft, new gas tank for fuel injection, new fuel lines, intercooler on the turbo engines, and many many odds and ends just to get the engine in the car. This is not to mention that at those power levels I'd need to upgrade the differential and halfshafts. All this adds up to quite a bit of money.

Now I've decided to do this in stages. I'm gonna build a mild, carbed, 2.8 liter L engine to get me by in the meantime. I've worked out a deal with CB to get a head, triple webers, and a 2.8 liter block. CB is doing a much more aggressive 3 liter, ported head monster motor for his girlfriend's car, but I don't think that's a road I want to go down just yet. This engine should make around 180-200 rwhp if I build it right (compared with 250 or so for CB's stroker) , which would be about double what I have now and more than enough to make the car fun, and is simple enough to build in a couple of weekends. The main thing here is that because it's an L engine, I don't need mounts, a new trans, a new fuel system, exhaust, wiring and all that fun stuff. Just build the motor, tune the carbs and go. Not to mention they look and sound amazing!



As I mentioned before, there has been some progress with the new shop. As it stands now, JB and I will probably be setting up a couple of containers as a temporary shop while we try to get into a nearby building. Here is a quick sketch I did of a possible layout. It's small but it could serve until we get something bigger.


Not a big update, but that's what I've got planned.

And now, some interesting photos.







No comments:

Post a Comment