Monday, June 13, 2011

6/13/11 New Toy!


Tools are toys for men.

After spending some time searching on craigslist, I finally found a suitable milling machine for our shop. I originally wanted a full-sized Bridgeport milling machine. While we could afford the machine itself, transportation and installation of a 2500lb machine gets pretty expensive pretty quick. I kept my eyes open and eventually found this smaller, benchtop machine that fit the bill perfectly. I called the guy and arranged to pick it up Sunday.



Saturday I went to the shop with K.Y. and did a little work on the Z. I pulled the bumper and corner markers off, and started removing the front suspension.


K.Y. and I also took a trip to a local machine shop to pick up the intake from the Benz. As seen in the earlier posts, it was quite dirty both inside and out. After a quick sandblast from the shop, the part was as good as new.

Sunday, I went to see the mom and check on an oil leak on her Ford Focus. Once I determined it was nothing to worry about, we took a trip up to white plains together to pick up the mill. I took a quick look at it and determined it was good to go. After I did the deal, the seller showed me his workshop, which had pretty much every machine tool in existence. There were at least $150k worth of machine tools in his basement. It was like looking into my future.

We disassembled the mill, threw it into the focus and drove home. Getting to the shop I discovered exactly how difficult moving a mill by yourself can be, but weight means quality and this mill weighs about 350lbs all together.


I just ordered all the little end mills, collets, parallels and holders that I need to start using this sweet little mill. It is seriously like going to a toy store for me.

-W.W. SBSS


No comments:

Post a Comment