Thursday, June 2, 2011

6/2/11 - Pens, Coins, and Foam

After a wonderful long weekend, I returned to the shop for the first time Wednesday with two goals: Pull the doors and seats out my Z and make a trip to home depot to buy foam for mold making.

K.Y., Harley and and I got to the shop and immediately started work. One thing I love about the Z is that it comes apart relatively easily. Twelve easily accessible bolts later and my doors were off the car.


The seats, stock from a 3rd generation RX-7, were a little more difficult. I custom mounted them about 6 years ago, and I remembered them being a pain to put in even then. They weren't much easier to remove. If I had a 12mm ratcheting wrench, it would have been a bit easier, but alas that was the one tool missing from K.Y. and my collections. After some sweating and cursing, however, the seats were out.


Pulling up the carpet I found all sorts of things. In the drivers side I found about $20 in change and 20 pens and pencils.

In the passenger side I found that the floor was simply bolted in, not welded, and that I could see daylight between the two panels in places.


K.Y. pulled the intake off of the Benz for cleaning. It is incredible how much crud is in the intake. We think it'll run like new with a good cleaning.

While he did that, I stole his BMW to make a home depot run to pick up some foam insulation boards for mold making. The idea is that I will glue this together, shape it into the shape I want my fairing to be when it's finished, cover it in packing tape, wrap it in resin soaked carbon fiber, vacuum bag and pop out a new fairing. If this works well, expect many more carbon parts in the future.

W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment