Monday, October 10, 2011

10/10/11 Moving Forward

So, the first order of operations on the new 240z is as follows:

1. Remove the factory sound deadening and undercoating from the floors so I can
2. Weld in thicker, stronger, full length frame rails over the originals.
3. Apply POR15 rust inhibiting paint on the floors
4. Apply new undercoating.
5. Put in new sound deadening and insulation.

This weekend I started step 1. Normally this stuff is pretty hard to remove. I have heard a lot of stories about guys having to chill it with dry ice to get it to come off in chunks. Luckily, mine came up pretty easily with just a hammer and broad screwdriver. At the front of the footwell, because of the angle, it was a bit hard to remove. Lacking dry ice, I used the refrigerant from canned air to chill the sound deadening so that I could chip it off easily.  I got the bulk of the work done by Sunday.





I also got a bit more aggressive in investigating the rust on my old Z. Needless to say, it's a good thing I have a new shell. I only discovered the rust on the A-pillar after removing door molding. Someone had filled it with silicone and painted over it. Scary stuff...



On monday, having most of the deadening off, I decided it was time to get the new Z in it's proper place. earlier in the week, I spent some time clearing the scrap that was in the back of the shop, mainly to make room for a different sort of scrap.

I dragged my old Z into the corner by myself, just as AY stopped by. He helped me push the new Z onto it's bay.


'

Afterwards, we pulled the engine out of his 912, a surprisingly easy process. Disconnect, unbolt and drop it out the bottom. You don't even need an engine hoist, just a floor jack. Good progress all around.










I'm ordering framerails, POR15 and possibly sound deadening this week. Stay tuned.

-W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment