Monday, October 24, 2011

10/24/11 Waking the Dead

This post is going to be pretty low on pictures of actual work in the shop, partially because the work I've been doing lately doesn't show up in pictures well, and partially because I forgot to take progress pictures on a few things. Sorry about that. I will try my best to make up for it with other photos.

The other weekend, I went with the NYZCC to the CTZCC BBQ (whew). CB wanted to bring both his red V8 car and the new stock 260z to the BBQ, so I volunteered to drive the new car for him. This was the first time I had been behind the wheel of a Z (without making engine noises with my mouth) in about two years. It was really awesome to drive one again, it felt like home.

There were also some amazing cars in attendance at the show. The number of cars that showed up was amazing, considering it took place on a member's front lawn.

Here is the NYZCC meeting up for the drive to CT.


This gunmetal G-nose 240z was my favorite of the show.

Needless to say, there was a lot to look at.


Including a trio of GT-Rs

It was certainly a good day. Afterwards we drove to DC's house, hung out with his wonderful family and troubleshooted his taillights.



Over the past couple of weeks, KY has been buttoning up the Benz. Sunday night the last of it came together and we were able to start it! It was running a little bit rough, as one of the intake bolts broke, so there was a pretty significant leak, but the fact that it fired is pretty amazing. After a 15 year nap the car is alive and breathing. After some small fixes here and there, we will be able to go for the first test drive.

I also decided it was time to fix my dented tank of my SV650. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the work until the last step of the day, mainly because it's pretty dirty work. First I pounded the high spots of the dent in. Then I filled it with body filler and sanded it smooth and down to the correct shape. Then I sanded the "SUZUKI" lettering down. Finally, rather than painting it, I coated the tank in epoxy resin and covered it in carbon fiber cloth.


Yes yes yes, I know it's not really in the spirit of carbon fiber, since all I am doing is adding weight, and carbon is all about light weight. Frankly, I did this because it's easier than painting, and it looks good.

I will trim the excess carbon tonight, then another coat of resin then it is polish sanding. After that a quick coat of UV blocking clearcoat and I am done. Can't wait. 

-W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment