Wednesday, July 6, 2011

7/6/11 Untangling the Mess


After a great weekend, I went to the shop on Tuesday evening to get some serious work done. I haven't finished the gantry yet, so I can't pull the engine out of the car. That left two major items to be removed: the fuel tank and the dreaded dashboard. Pulling a dashboard can be an incredibly tedious affair, as it has the highest concentration of wires, tubes and cables. This, combined with the fact that most of the bolts that hold the somewhat fragile dashboard into the car are hard to access and even harder to see, makes for a great deal of swearing and busted knuckles.

So I started with the fuel tank. Actually, in my car it is a racing fuel cell. It's a strong, aluminum box with a rubber bladder and blocks of foam to keep the fuel from splashing about. It came out pretty easily, mainly because I was the one who installed it originally.


At this point I was going to start pulling the dash down, but then K.Y. came with a van loaded with tools!

After helping him move in permanently, I relented and started dropping the dashboard.


This is why I hate dashes.

But eventually everything came apart and I had the dash out of the car.

Done working on my car for the day, I took a look at the progress K.Y. was making with the Benz. Slowly but surely the Benz is getting ready to run.

-W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment