Thursday, July 21, 2011

Project Cafe: Part 1


I have wanted to build a Cafe Racer for the longest time. For the uninitiated, a Cafe Racer is a type of 60's British sport bike. Back in these days, guys used to strip their bikes down and race from cafe to a predetermined point and back to the cafe, attempting to make this trip before a single song was over on the jukebox. They were always attempting to 'do the ton' or go 'ton up' which meant go over 100mph, quite a feat in the 60's. Cafe racers were the original badass british bikers.
New cafe-style bikes are meant to look like the old Triumphs, BSAs and Nortons, but with relatively modern, more powerful and much more reliable Japanese underpinnings.
To this end, I am building my own Cafe. The ideal bike to start with is a 70's Honda CB750, but these are commanding a little more money than I am willing to spend right now. I did find an 1985 Honda CB700. It is a little different, but much more modern. 
Here is the bike as it stood when I picked it up. It looked good, ran reasonably well so I loaded it up in the truck.
Then I brought it to the shop.
I have already ordered some clubman bars to bring the riding position back down to something a bit more sporty.
Next on the list is getting rid of that very 80's square headlight, and making a sporty single seat.
There is also now a ninja 600 getting some maintenance in the shop, but more on that later....
W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment