Thursday, August 11, 2011

8/11/11 Gantrification of the South Bronx


It's done!

After far too many weeks, my gantry is done!

It took drilling, drilling, and more drilling to get it built. Actually, the most difficult part was keeping my drill bits sharp. As it turns out, drill bits aren't too fond of drilling through steel over and over, and tend to overheat and lose their edge.

In order to give it a bit of stiffness I put in two braces.







Once I had both in, I stood it upright. Here, again, I made some poor choices. I really should have waited for help getting this thing standing, but I didn't. It literally took all of the strength that I have to set this thing up on its wheels, but through sheer willpower I did it alone.




Then I wheeled it into place over my car's engine and hooked up the chainfall.






All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I gave it a quick test and it picked up the whole front end of the car with no problem. I can't wait to pull my engine.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, I took quite a few more photos this post. This is because I have renewed my interest in the high quality camera that is at the shop, as opposed to my iPhone camera. Here are some more fun photos to end the post.



No comments:

Post a Comment