Thursday, December 15, 2011

12/15/11 Overdue Update (again)

I know it has been a while, but the holiday season is tough. I've been to 5 parties, including santacon shown below, in about as many days, and it doesn't look like the pace will be slowing down until after new years. #firstworldpains  In any case, here's whats been going on.

A very nice member on the HybridZ forums decided to clean house. Instead of selling his extra stuff, he gave it away to whoever could pick it up. Since I live only an hour or so away, I went and got myself some free toys, namely a shopping cart full of Datsun transmissions

And a corroded and 2/3 complete set of triple Solex carburetors. Since the triples aren't complete, I'll probably end up selling them since I plan to do an engine swap eventually anyway. I'll likely keep at least one transmission as a spare and sell the other. Not a bad haul for an afternoon's drive.

The other day I was walking in midtown and saw this very interesting Ducati. It was a 999, which usually looks something like this.

But this one had been stripped down way beyond what even most streetfighter conversions remove. Check out the tail section. Not only is the seat gone, but the tail fairing as well. Just exposed tubing there. Also the wrapped exhaust is sweet. It's not often you see something this...different.

I've been plugging away at getting my frame rails installed. As I said, it involves a bunch of hammering to get them to fit flush. I also needed to use a wire wheel on an angle grinder to grind away the undercoating on the car. This is dirty work.

I finally have them fitting the way I like, so now it's time to paint the inside of the framerails with POR-15. I prepped them last night with the etching solution, which allows the paint to stick well to the smooth new metal. Paint will go on tonight.

I also finally got ahold of the UV-proof clearcoat I needed for my tank. This is gonna look awesome on my bike.

Finally, I pretty much have the CB700SC back together. I may register it so I can ride it around until the SV is back on the road, but eventually I'm gonna sell it. The only thing holding me back right now is I'm missing a stupid little 'T' fitting for the fuel system. I misplaced it at some point and it's always the little things that hold you back.


-W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment