Monday, January 2, 2012

1/2/12 A New Year

Happy New Year!

To celebrate, I made some serious progress on the bike today. One of the things holding me back was the fact that I didn't have the tool to properly torque the stem nut. The reason I didn't have it is that Suzuki, for some reason unknown to me, charges $170 for the tool, which looks like this.


Normally I'd just take a brass drift and tighten it with a hammer but because this is part of the steering and having proper torque could be important, I decided to do it the right way. To this end, I decided to make my own steering stem socket.

First I bought a 32mm deep socket and wrapped it in tape.

Then I marked where I needed to remove material.


Then I turned it in a lathe to remove excess material from the inside.

Then I took a dremel to it to cut out the notches.

And then cleaned up the edges with a grinding wheel.

And I was good to go!



Next in my day of fabrication, I needed to make a brake caliper spacer, as my forks were missing one when they arrived. Searching fo some scrap aluminum, I cut off the end of my old bent clipon.

And this was the end result, accurate to 5 thousandths of an inch. The one I made is on the left, with the original on the right.


This allowed me to start buttoning up the front end. This is gonna look pretty good!




-W.W. SBSS



No comments:

Post a Comment