Monday, January 30, 2012

1/30/12 More Insulation

I know it's been a while since I've posted, but between selling (and dropping off) the 650 and some other things in life, I've only been able to spend one real day in the shop since my last post, but I made it count.

One of the reasons I haven't been in the shop more is that on Thursday I got pulled over in the city. I was riding through one of the central park transverses, and as I got to Central Park West, I fed forward to the front of the line of cars waiting for the light. This is a pretty safe practice that dramatically reduces the number of rear end accidents motorcyclists experience. That said, it's still illegal so the cop waiting at the corner pulled me over. I gave him my info, knowing full well that my VA motorcycle registration was very much expired, as I haven't lived there since...June 2010. He came back about 20 minutes later. Gave me the ticket for 'passing in the same lane' then asked me if this bike was registered. I told him it should be. He said it was coming back as unregistered, and the expired registration I gave him came up as a 'red suzuki'. "OH YEAH! Yes, officer, it used to be red, but now it's carbon fiber."

Two tickets and a little more than $300 later I was riding the remaining 5 blocks to my apartment. I can't really be upset, because I did sortof deserve both tickets, particularly the registration one. Feeding forward really should be legal though.

As a result, I spent much of Saturday getting my Jersey licence again and registering the bike in NJ. Now I'm all legal again.

In the shop yesterday I spent most of my time on the interior of the Z. First I finished installing the FAT MAT sound deadener. in the rear hatch area.



Installing this stuff isn't hard, but it takes a toll on your hands. the foil backing is pretty sharp, so I have a bunch of deep cuts on my fingers from pressing it down to the metal. Oh well.

I installed it on both the outer and inner door skin. It is truly amazing how much 'ring' it takes out of the door. Instead of the door sounding like I hit a steel drum when I close it, it sounds like hitting a mattress with a hammer. 'Clang' to 'Thunk' if you get what I mean. It's kinda hard to describe....


Even being pretty liberal with it, I still have quite a bit of the 100sqft I ordered left. This is good because the package weighed 40lbs, and I'm a bit more comfortable adding 25lbs to my car than I am adding 40. I really will make a huge difference in sound. 

I also started with the EZ Cool. I say started because I vastly underestimated how much I'd need and ran out. Taking some cues from the EZ Cool testimonials page, I started by wrapping the inside of the interior plastics with it. 




This stuff is VERY lightweight, but it isn't peel and stick like the FATMAT. I'm using some loctite spray adhesive that not super strong, but is more than strong enough for this purpose. I have no doubt that I could remove all of the EZ Cool easily (hehe).

With a few of the major interior panels done, I started to do the floors.



This stuff is very easy (hehe) to work with, and putting your hand against it you can really tell how much heat it actually reflects. The only problem is that one roll got me a floor and a half plus a couple of panels. I need at least one more roll, probably two if I want to do the hatch. 

I also made a Home Depot run with JB and picked up some carpet padding. I still have to figure out what carpet I'm gonna use. 



Slowly but surely.

-W.W. SBSS



No comments:

Post a Comment