Tuesday, February 21, 2012

2/21/12 President's Day Weekend Progress

I did quite alot of work on the car this weekend so it's hard to remember where I started. I'll just be following the pics on my phone. Saturday morning when I went to the shop I found AY's uncle..AY... doings some woodwork. This piece he made by gluing many small pieces together then turning it on a lathe is pretty impressive. Soon after this he started to move his operations out of the shop because of the impending move.


Saturday I spent much of the day sectioning my rear struts. This process is pretty similar to the front so I didn't go quite so overboard with pictures but a couple are below. I think my pipe cutter is dying, because I had a bear of a time getting the cuts straight. 




I also installed the taillights in the car for no apparent reason.

In another random act, I decided to hang one of the front fenders. Looks good!



And I also mocked up a seat in the car. Ignore the stain...



On Sunday I drove first to my mom's place in Newark to borrow her focus and then to Little Ferry to a new friend DV's house to buy a set of wheels from him. I didn't think to take pictures, but he has one of the most impressive collections of motorcycles that I've ever seen. He also has a very clean 240z that he is turning into an all-out race build. Full Arizona Z Car track pack, LS3, this car is gonna be crazy. The reason he is selling these wheels is that they won't work with the 5 lug track pack. Because of this, I got a set of wheels and tires for less than half price with 30 miles on them! DV is also an incredibly friendly guy and seemed happy to help out another biker and Z guy. Thanks DV! 





A late Sunday night in the shop, with my SV, JB's new A7, and AY's new Cherokee. 


After having a big fight with one stubborn bushing, I got the rear suspension together and ready for installation. 


JB was working on a speaker mount for behind his couch. It is amazing how practical the A7 is. 


Monday morning I installed the Ron Tyler Diff mount. It's actually backwards in this picture, but ignore that. 


Then I threw the suspension in the car. I was gonna pull the stub axles out, but couldn't even get the nuts to loosen. I can't install the brake brackets until I get them off. I've called in the cavalry on this one so hopefully this gets solved soon. 



Starting to look like a car! At least now I can roll it out if I need to.


Unfortunately I got some bad news on Monday. I left my G35 at my mom's place in Newark for one night. Overnight, someone decided to break into my car. They took a screwdriver to my lock, beat up the door panel and somehow managed to break both of my window mechanisms (but not the windows, strangely). Since I can't get my passenger window closed, the car is out of commission for a while, locked in my mom's garage. We'll see how this goes dealing with insurance. 


Gotta take the bad with the good I guess...

-W.W. SBSS



No comments:

Post a Comment