Tuesday, February 28, 2012

2/28/12 Finishing Touches

Made lot's progress this weekend. Frankly, there are only little things keeping this car off the road now. First though, I have to post a pic of the little Miata that has stepped in to fill the shoes of the vandalized G35. Frankly, the Miata makes more sense as a city car as it's more efficient, and easier to find a parking spot for. Also, because it's 22 years old and we bought it for $1400 5 years ago, I don't car if someone bumps it when parking. I've also been shocked to learn that the top replacement I did last summer does not leak at all! I fully expected to have to fiddle with the seals and stop small leaks, but it is fine. The only thing I have to fix is one of the headlights occasionally droops if I go over a big bump.



Friday I noticed that my diff bolts were contacting my rear crossmember with the new mount, a common problem. To fix this I trimmed the mount to raise the diff a little and then clearanced the crossmember. I painted over the exposed steel to prevent rust.


Then I permanently hung the fenders and mounted the headlights and turn signals.



One of my headlight buckets had a nasty dent so I filled it and painted both to match the fenders.


On Sunday CB came by again and we knocked out a bunch of smaller things like the hood, headlight buckets, cowl, rear hatch hardware etc. I stayed late and mounted one of my seats and my steering wheel, mainly so I could sit in the car and make engine noises. 

Last night I went and mounted the newly painted inspection lids, the front air dam the rear trim panels, and the bumper and the rear turn signals. Then I took a bunch of gratuitous pictures. 










-W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment