Monday, March 12, 2012

3/12/12 IT LIVES!

This weekend I got some good work done on the car. First, I installed my proportioning valve. I heard some horror stories about flaring the brake lines from some pretty experienced people online but I had absolutely no trouble with it at all. Here's the process.

There are two reasons that i needed to flare the brake lines.
1. I needed to add a component
2. The fittings for that component were SAE rather than metric which the rest of the car is.

This meant I needed one line to go from the metric brake level switch to the SAE proportioning valve and to cut the existing rear brake line and put an SAE fitting on there to go to the other side of the prop valve.

I did a practice flare which came out perfect, so I did the swithc to prop line first, mainly because I could do it off the car at a bench.

Here are the tools in the flare kit.

First you cut the line.

Then you debur the inside and chamfer the outside.


Then you do the first flare which makes it bell shaped, then you do the second which folds it back in on itself, making the proper 45 degree flare.

One more flare and the valve was on the car. I later bolted it to the firewall all neat and clean.



Then I mounted and wired my new SPAL cooling fan.

On Saturday JB was picking me up in his new A7 to go to dinner. While he was pulled over waiting for me to come outside, some fool hit the gas instead of the brake when leaving a parking spot in front of him and backed into the 3 week old car. This is why we can't have nice things.



I found myself a little bored, so I tried something out. One of the pins on my ignition module was broken. I have a new one on the way, but in the mean time I was curious whether I could fix it anyway. I took the soldering iron and dug out the pin from the plastic casing. I then soldered a wire to it and reinstalled it. To my shock it ran right away.

Here are some gratuitous videos. Also one of CB driving away in his 260.



I didn't drive it but I put it on the ground and moved it back and forth and stopped it with the brakes. It's a car!

-W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment