Thursday, March 8, 2012

3/8/12 Little Victories

The other day I had a couple of little victories with my car. As I've mentioned, the 5speed transmission I had in my old car has the shifter exit about 2 inches further forward than the factory shifter on an early 240z. I trimmed the sheet metal a little to get that to clear, but it soon became obvious that it was going to hit the factory center console. This is the shifter not quite all the way into 3rd gear.


I picked up a 72 center console from CB, only to learn that all of the mounting points are different so I really couldn't use it without doing a ton of work. To fix this, I took a suggestion from DC and bent my shifter to clear.

My first iteration wasn't quite bent enough to clear the console entirely.


More heat and more bending and I had this.


Now the shifter clears perfectly, the car is in 3rd gear in this shot.


I also got a new clutch flex line, swapped the hardlines and master cylinder out from my old car (the one in 1905 was looking a little corroded) and buttoned everything up. I now have a functional clutch.

Sometimes it's the little things.

-W.W. SBSS

No comments:

Post a Comment