Monday, March 5, 2012

3/5/12 Two Steps Forward...

This weekend I took Friday off to take care of some errands. The most important of these was going to the DMV and finally putting 1905 in my name. I was a little worried because NYS doesn't issue titles for cars so old so I was only bringing a transferable registration to the NJ DMV, but everything worked out well and I left with a new title in my name and plates for the car.

I also brought my spare hatch from NJ to the shop and from there to and auto glass shop in the Bronx. I have to say I was impressed by how quickly and easily they removed and installed the glass. They even saved my old hatch rubber since it was in good shape. I watched them work and learned the tricks so it was money well spent. 

I installed my new fuse block and everything came to life. The lights and wiper all work perfectly (except the front turn signals which I haven't hooked up yet. This is likely this first time electricity has passed through these wires in 35 years.




I also installed the gas tank and ran *almost* all the rubber lines. I would have gotten it started, except there was a minor mishap in the distributor wiring and I need a new one... The issue was created by the craz wiring that the previous owner of my old car did. The hacked up harness made it hard to figure out what was done, and so power was connected to the distributor incorrectly, frying the electronic unit. A new one is being sourced now and I should be running shortly. 



Major items left:
  • Clutch flex hose - on the way
  • Brake proportioning valve needs to be plumbed into the hard lines.
  • Brake lines need to be connected
  • I need to figure out a solution for my center console. I have the original one from the car, but because it is an early car, the transmission comes out too far forward and the shifter interferes with the console. Also because it is an early car, later consoles don't have the same mounting points. I think I'm going to end up either bending my shifter or trimming the console or both.
  • Need the push pins for the interior plastics
  • Need to figure out why my blower motor isn't turning on
  • Install the heater control cables 
  • Plumb heater into car
  • Get hatch weatherstrip
  • Get nuts and bolts for right headlight bucket (some of the originals broke because they were rusty when I dissassembled the car.)
  • Make shim for front top nut.

On an unrelated note, I saw a Bentley Mulsanne  on the road the other day. Pictures don't do justice to how large this car is. It is SUBSTANTIALLY bigger than the continentals you see around NYC all the time. It's about the same length as the extra long wheelbase version of the Escalade 


 Look how high the door sills are from the vantage of the admittedly small Miata. It was like being next to a Range Rover.


-W.W. SBSS


2 comments:

  1. The electrics on the old Datsuns are no fun, I hope everything works right for you the first time (besides the dizzy I guess).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, luckily this car's wiring is unmolested. Most of the things I'm running into are peculiarities of the very early cars. Spade connectors instead of barrel connectors, that sort of thing. Nothing nearly as bad as the wiring on my last car.

    ReplyDelete