Thursday, April 14, 2011

4/14/11 - Bikes, Beers and Boxes

On my way to the shop today I decided to pick up a few beers. Most, if not all, physical labor is better when accompanied by beer.

I started my day in the shop by continuing to clean the carbs on the FZR. I didn't have carb cleaner or a stove (to put the carbs in a pot of boiling water), so I disassembled them, cleaned them with WD40, and reassembled them. It was all going well until just one carb slide wasn't closing as quickly as the rest. I rebuilt the carb 3 times to no avail. I will either have to get a chemical cleaner or go all out and boil the carbs to get them perfect. But that is for another day.


Right now both G.B. and I have flat rear tires on our bikes. We have ordered replacement tires, and I also ordered a set of stands so we can take our wheels off. It's funny how if you spend $40 at a bar on 5 beers it's a bit of a waste, but if its on a tool that you'll have forever it is a totally legitimate investment.

After hitting the wall with the FZR, I moved on to my SV. When I converted my bike to naked, I lost the rear view mirrors. I figured it was hight time to replace them. I ordered some 8 dollar bar end mirrors, modified them so that they were no longer at the end of my bars, then installed them on the bike. I think they look great.


The last thing I worked on yesterday is a bit of an art project. K.Y.'s father, one of the owners of the building, is working on a sculpture project, and he asked if we could weld up some rectangular boxes for him to work with. I figured this was as good a time as any to set up a welding table and get back into the swing of welding. I made a table out of a hollow metal door, grounded it to the welder and had a very nice surface to weld on. Here are some pics of the results.

This is the first of many boxes, and I'm sure by the time they're all done, everyone in the shop will be a very accomplished welder.

-W.W. SBSS


No comments:

Post a Comment